[Rawhide Regression] Intel Seems to Display Lower Colour Depth Than It Should

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 11:59:23 UTC 2011

Hi all,

before going off to filling a bug report I thought I'd ask here whether
there's a possibility I use some dumb setting instead of it being
a driver bug...

The issue at hand is that in Rawhide the colours displayed on my
integrated screen are displayed differently than on Fedora 14. To be
exact, worse. It looks like it uses lower colour depth. I played around
with ImageMagick with a screenshot of my desktop and came to a
conclusion that the actual displayed depth is ca 6 bits per pixel
instead of 8 bits per pixel.

So I wonder if I might have messed something up or whether it's a
driver bug. From looking into /var/log/Xorg.log it seems the driver is
setting 24 bit depth and 32 framebuffer which looks ok to me...

xorg-x11-drv-intel-2.14.0-1.fc15.i686

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME,
943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Anyone seeing similar issue?

Thanks,
Martin