[Test-Announce] Fedora 15 Alpha TC2 Available Now!

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Wed Feb 16 13:06:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 17:11 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 08:36 -0500, James Laska wrote:
>
> > Good-bye install.img, hello initrd.img!
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Features/UnifiedInitrd
> >
> > The installer no longer needs to locate where install.img is (network,
> > DVD, HD).  The content previously included in the stage#2 install.img
> > file, is now included in the initrd.img.  There is some discussion (and
> > I believe a bug report) on whether or not to prompt for mediacheck.  The
> > only prompt for external resources will be the yum repository screen.
> > Here you can supply additional package repositories (local + remote).
>
> Soo, does there still need to be a install/install.img file for
> installing from iso via network, or a initrd.img or anything at all or
> just the iso is now needed and nothing else?

There shouldn't be a need for this, since it no longer exists.  Just
boot and go (or that's the theory).  The only question should be where
do you want to install packages from.  That step will happen during the
graphical reposetup portion of the installer.  Of course, this is why we
test, so we can shake out any issues that slipped through the cracks.

Hope that helps answer your question!
James