[Test-Announce] Fedora 15 Alpha TC2 Available Now!

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 20:35:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 3:49 PM, John Watzke <watzkej at gmail.com> wrote:

>    What you are testing is TC and not even Alpha so you should expect a lot
> of broken things.  Total System Quality doesn't come straight from the
> developers themselves.  It gets tested and sent back to the developers to
> fix.  The testing part is what we're trying to do here.  You should expect
> to download an image that once installed will probably break in at least 14
> different ways.  That ensures on release day an end user will download an
> image that is of high quality.

I am having real problems trying to get a gnome3 session in either tc2
or the last few nightlies on my test laptop - I can boot the live
image (off a usbkey), but not to a desktop, and only to a VT.  I can
mess with /etc/gdm/custom.conf and stop prefdm.service and restart it
but although it tries to start a session I get a brief flashing mutter
crash box that stays on the gnome3 screen a fraction of a second - and
then goes back to the background only - and this reappears briefly
again every few seconds.  I can kill the session by going to another
VT - but no matter how I try to restart using systemctl stop/start
prefdm.service, or even trying telinit 3/5 which presumably does the
same -(and killing off custom.conf from gdm) nothing works - and
although I have seen suggestions to switchuser I can't get this as I
am not in a desktop, and the gdm greeter does not have that option -
this is wireless so I can't save the log files as I am running off a
live image from a liveusb key....

Any magic incantations anyone knows about to work around these issues
for a live image and get to a gnome3 desktop (I had gnome3 running
from the gnome3 testday image so I know gnome3 will work in this
machine)

Thanks

--
mike c