gnome-applets and rawhide updates

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Fri Feb 18 04:47:53 UTC 2011

> On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 16:27 -0700, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> > So, it's been a while since I've been able to update my rawhide desktop
> > and see what breaks - long enough that I've forgotten the pain and want to
> > feel it again.  The blocking factor should be familiar to many:
> >
> > Error: Package: 1:gnome-applets-2.32.0-3.fc15.x86_64 (@rawhide)
> >            Requires: libpanel-applet-2.so.0()(64bit)
> >            Removing: gnome-panel-libs-2.31.92-1.fc15.x86_64 (@rawhide)
> >                libpanel-applet-2.so.0()(64bit)
> >            Updated By: gnome-panel-libs-2.91.6-5.fc15.x86_64 (rawhide)
> >                Not found
> >
> > Now I understand thus we panel users are supposed to move out of the stone
> > age and bow before our gnome-shell overlords.  I'd like to give it a try,
> > but attempts to install gnome-shell run into the same roadblock.
> >
> > My question: is the only way forward here to obliterate any trace of the
> > panel and applets from my system and commit to the gnome-shell experience
> > for once and for all?  Or might there be a way to keep both on my system
> > for a little while until I'm sure I can function under gnome-shell?
>
> No. You only need to remove gnome-applets.

Of course that means you'll lose all those applets you might be using,
like for the wonderful weather in Colorado :)

FWIW, I have a rawhide box that is near totally hosed at the moment. Yum
is reporting many duplicate packages, etc. even though I've run the
de-duping package-cleanup (which reports that there are none, though yum
itself complains on every operation that there are many dozens). I've
been manually removing and re-installing packages to the point where I
think a fresh install might be the only way forward.

Jon.