gnome-applets and rawhide updates

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 12:51:00 UTC 2011

On 02/17/2011 11:27 PM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> So, it's been a while since I've been able to update my rawhide desktop
> and see what breaks - long enough that I've forgotten the pain and want to
> feel it again.  The blocking factor should be familiar to many:

If you are in the situation of being able to then I suggest you take TC2
( or wait for the RC ) and do a fresh install using the fedora repos (
not the local one that comes with the dvd ) which will pull in all the
update packages and many fixes to know issues and give you a fully
updated and usable system then from an upgraded one.

I myself was experiencing all kinds of bugs or "issues" as some people
like to call it which was the result of me upgrading to rawhide from F14
and removing bunch of packages like gnome-applets ibus* at-sp and what
not to get on that rawhide train which went away with the fully updated
fresh install.  ( +Gnome-shell did not crash as frequently as it did
with the upgrade to rawhide )..

Take note that there have been several reports from reporters
experiencing graphic related problems and all of them have in common
using an ATI card for example mutter causes segfault in r300 driver on
my i386 test machine while x86_64 test machine has an NVIDIA cards and
works just ( alpha ) fine.

JBG