gnome-shell performance (was gnome-applets and rawhide updates)

Jonathan Corbet corbet-ft at lwn.net
Fri Feb 18 18:15:52 UTC 2011

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 16:42:43 -0800
Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> No. You only need to remove gnome-applets.

gnome-python2-applet too, then it worked.

But...the result is unusably slow - as in it can't keep up with me typing
in a gnome-terminal.  Now, I am a fairly fast typist, but still...  A
quick look shows mutter running flat-out most of the time.

I'm running fairly standard onboard Intel graphics; it all works
beautifully under metacity.  Is gnome-shell just too cool for my hardware,
or is there something else going on?

Thanks,

jon

Jonathan Corbet / LWN.net / corbet at lwn.net