Applets

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Mon Feb 28 02:44:03 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 19:55, Andy Lawrence <dr.diesel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Jason D. Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com>wrote:
>>

>> It will be considered "ready" without widgets.
>>

> Without widgets,

No, without applets and without a new widget system. System tray icons are
still there: in fallback in the old tray, in Shell in the message tray.

> firewall control, vino, any method for user groups/control, selinux menu,
> ability to reboot, menu system missing "programming",

All these things work in Shell *and* in fallback mode. In fallback mode they
are pretty much the same as they've always been; in Shell they are in
slightly different locations but still exist. (Firewall and selinux GUI's
are a distro thing.) I'd like to know where you're getting your
misinformation so we can cut that off at the source.

> no desktop.

You can turn it on if you care about it that much; the ability hasn't been
removed.

> As an RHEL admin I don't think my only option of "Suspend" is a good choice
> for my quad 4-core stack of servers.

> I wish the Gnome group well; but my servers, desktops and laptops are not
> tablets.  I really hate to think that will happen if this stuff ends up in
> RHEL7.

No server admin is going to initiate a server reboot from a GUI menu *today*
and they still won't with GNOME 3. And we're *years* away from RHEL7; give
it time and maybe the UI will reach the level of service status maturity
that would be required to make such a GUI reliable enough to use to judge
what to do with a server.