cannot boot beyond runlevel 1

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 2 00:11:14 UTC 2011

On 2011/01/01 15:18 (GMT-0700) Michal Jaegermann composed:

> On Sat, Jan 01, 2011 at 03:12:01PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>>  http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/boot.log-f15r-t2240.txt
>>  http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/dmesg-f15r-t2240.txt
>>  http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/messages-f15r-t2240.txt

> The last one comes back with "Access forbidden!".

I had neglected to change the default permissions on the original when
copying to the web server dir. That's fixed now.

>>  Can anyone tell me from those logs why booting into any runlevel beyond 1
>>  simply stops,

> Apparently, from your boot.log, something gets stuck trying to
> configure network interfaces.  Why this is the case you are the one
> in a position to investigate.

Ordinarily I would, but I've never found the manual page explaining how to do
with upstart the things I knew how to do with sysvinit. Investigate where?

> Either boot to a level 1, turn off whatever tries to configure eth0
> and boot to a level 3, or go into an "interactive control of
> services" mode and skip whatever gets stuck.  Once at a command line
> try to bring up an offending service (or services) manually and
> watch what goes haywire.

I've got Rawhide running and yum updated further via chroot from Factory
boot, but don't know what to look for as indicated above.

--
"How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose
understanding rather than silver." Proverbs 16:16 NKJV

  Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/