config date

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Jan 4 05:09:19 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 03, 2011 at 10:53:04PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

> Maybe the problem is that systemd doesn't know about any of this.

I do not think that systemd is supposed to know anything about your
time zone; I may miss something.

> According to chkconfig, ntpd is on,

ntpd is designed to give up if it has to compensate for to big time
differences although it is often configured to "jump" once at the
very start.  BTW - with an unstable reference (due to a crazy
network latencies, for example) chrony does much better job.

> and according to diff, /etc/localtime and
> /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern contain entirely identical bits.
> Yet, each Rawhide boot produces filesystem mount times and clock
> time off by the TZ offset.

Do you have TZ set in an enviroment?  You should not do that with a
proper content of /etc/localtime.  Anyway, I do not recall such
issue in those bits of rawhide I have now on hands.

   Michal