clamav configure errors

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Mon Jan 10 23:35:55 UTC 2011

On 01/10/2011 04:25 PM, Rob Healey wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> Could someone help me with the error that I am having with clamav?  Here
> is what I get after typing: freshclam ...
>
> safebrowsing.cld updated (version: 26531, sigs: 546796, f-level: 58,
> builder: google)
> bytecode.cvd is up to date (version: 114, sigs: 27, f-level: 58,
> builder: edwin)
> Database updated (1407301 signatures) from db.uk.clamav.net
> <http://db.uk.clamav.net> (IP: 193.1.193.64)
> WARNING: Clamd was NOT notified: Can't connect to clamd through
> /tmp/clamd.socket
> connect(): Connection refused
> WARNING: Clamd was NOT notified: Can't connect to clamd through
> /tmp/clamd.socket
> connect(): Connection refused
>
> Can someone give me an example of what /tmp/clamd.socket should have in it ?

Shouldn't have anything *in* it.  It should be a socket.  The clamd
process will attack to it and listen for commands.

Look at your /etc/clamd.conf file, and look for the LocalSocket
definition.  On my system, its in /var/run/clamav/clamd.sock which is:

> # ls -l /var/run/clamav/clamd.sock
> srw-rw-rw-. 1 clamav clamav 0 Nov 29 15:11 /var/run/clamav/clamd.sock

Notice the leading "s" in the ls output indicating that it is a socket.

clamav clients (including freshclam) will open this socket when they
wish to write (send) commands to the clamd server....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at verizon.net
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net