Strange bug in F14: gnome-settings-daemon, Firefox ramp up to high CPU usage

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jan 17 15:52:37 UTC 2011

Hi, folks. Before I file a bug on this I was wondering if anyone else
had seen it and hoping to get a better idea of exactly what's happening.

Lately, on this machine - a laptop running F14 - it seems that every so
often, gnome-settings-daemon, firefox and one other process (I forget
which, something else that's part of GNOME I think) suddenly go crazy,
pegging out the CPU (which is dual-core) entirely and also showing huge
virtual size (virt column in top) - in the 60-70GB range. One thing that
sometimes triggers this is, sometimes, trying to play some music in
audacious; usually it works, but sometimes it returns 'input/output
error', PulseAudio crashes, and this bug happens immediately. But
sometimes the same problem with gnome-settings-daemon and firefox
happens without being triggered by loading music.

Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas what's going on?