[Test-Announce] Call for reviewing TCMS use cases and comparison!

He Rui rhe at redhat.com
Thu Jan 20 03:55:24 UTC 2011

Hi James,

Wow, firstly, many thanks for your careful review of all the items.:)

On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 16:08 -0500, James Laska wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 19:36 +0800, He Rui wrote:
> > Greetings!
> >
> > Wiki workflow/use cases are reorganized and grouped by general and main
> > test events(runs) use cases. The general cases cover the basic uses of
> > wiki, and the events cases covers the detailed certain steps for
> > organizing the events.
> >
> > Please review it:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Rhe/tcms_use_cases
> >

> > Meanwhile, Wiki and Nitrate comparison is also listed and grouped by
> > above use cases. I've listed as many features as I can think out for
> > comparison. Please have a look and see if any features are missed. You
> > can review it by the use case you're familiar with if reviewing all of
> > them is tough, but be aware that features compared in former use cases
> > are not listed in later cases again to avoid overlaps:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Rhe/tcms_Comparison
> >

> > Ticket#152[1] is currently set up for tracking this event. Feel free to
> > add comments or discuss it here.
> >
> > Note: the feedback deadline is Jan 21, the end of this week. After that
> > date, I'll move forward to the next phase.
> >
> > Waiting for your feedback!
>
> Woah, I like the fancy table layout used for comparing use cases between
> the wiki and nitrate!  Thank you for taking the time to identify our
> current test workflows and offer a comparison between nitrate and the
> wiki.  You've got a really comprehensive list of use cases that will
> certainly help us evaluate nitrate.
>
> While looking through the comparison wiki, I've noted a few
> comments/questions below.  Hope this helps!
>
> I'm unclear what the use case 'Creating A Common Page' is, can you
> elaborate?  Is that when we create a category page to group all test
> results for a milestone (e.g.
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Fedora_14_Pre-Alpha_Test_Results)?

No, it means creating a general new page on wiki, like a documentation
page etc, and test cases/plans/categories/results pages are particular
cases based on creating a normal page like this. It lists what a user
may do when creating a new page.

> Under 'creating a common page', the row titled 'Submitting format'.
> Would that be better named as 'Supports data entry using a form'?

Ah great, I've changed it.

> Under 'creating a common page', there is a row titled 'Subpage using'.
> I don't think I understand that use case, can you explain?

Okay, for example on wiki, Test_Days is under the path of QA like:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Test_Days

So I tried to compare if nitrate can also organize sub-page under its
main page.

> Under section 'Creating A Test Case', there are some red cells for the
> wiki for (these are also under 'Creating a Test Plan').  What does the
> 'red' mean.  Does it mean that they are not possible, or that the
> solution provided is not optimal?

Oh the first two below are not optimal, the last one is not possible on
wiki.

>       * Renaming a case - move to another page

I think moving to another page is not a good way to rename a case, there
will be two link addresses for this case.

>       * Case draft status - manually add draft category/note

It's better to have a case status called draft, or proposed like nitrate
does.

>       * Case review status - approved in ticket or somewhere else

It's better to have a case status called 'confirmed', or 'need update'
or 'disabled' like nitrate. I remember we used to track the cases status
in tickets and after approved in tickets or reviewed in test@,