Fedora 14 and HDMI audio - silence.

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jan 20 10:25:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 21:53 -0800, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:

> No ground loop noise!   VLC player can pass the Dolby Digital
> or DTS signal to the receiver for full surround sound.

If you're trying to do this, expect problems, as PulseAudio doesn't
really cope with encoded signal passthrough yet, though I believe
someone's working on it.

> Fedora 14 (updated) with the current Nvidia driver is
> reported to support HDMI audio output.  By installing
> the XFCE mixer I am able to activate iec958 1 which
> outputs an audio bit stream over the HDMI connector.

I don't know if Xfce's mixer is doing the right thing, you may want to
install pavucontrol and check the settings there.

> Is there a reasonably simple way to get Fedora to speak over the
> display adapter's HDMI output?

For 'normal' playback (not encoded signal passthrough) it ought to work
once you make sure to set the appropriate output for PA. If it still
doesn't you'll need to file a bug with the recommended details -
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_PulseAudio_problems ,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_sound_problems .