What has happened to desktop icons in rawhide?

David dgboles at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 23:40:42 UTC 2011

On 1/22/2011 6:05 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 10:57 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 10:22:28PM +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>
>>> what about users choice? Isn't that what free software is about?
>>
>> You have the freedom to modify the packages to remove any dependencies
>> you want to. You don't have the freedom to insist that packagers support
>> that use case.
>
> So what are all the people that don't have video cards suppose to do
> that don't support 3D. Use KDE? I thought gnome was continuing to
> support that use case?

IMO.

t is the users of KDE that are entwined with K<some_name> applications. :-)

That is not the case with Gnome users. When Fedora 'broke'? the Gnome
Desktop in Fedora 15/Rawhide I switched to XFCE. I still use the same
major applications. The same Fedora GUI configuration applications. The
only 'new things' <gasp> that I had to get used to was a slightly
different looking terminal window, a slightly different looking file
manger, and a slightly different looking desktop. That took about 10
minutes.
--

  David