What has happened to desktop icons in rawhide?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 17:28:47 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/23/2011 09:58 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>>
>> Also keep in mind that there are other "first-class desktop
>> environment". Moblin is just as much a GNOME based first-class desktop
>> environment as gnome-shell, just for a different use-case (Netbooks).
>
> I don't think that's the case.  GNOME Shell is a integral part of GNOME
> 3.  Moblin upstream seems only interested in being a complete OS and
> haven't cooperated well with other projects which want to include Moblin
> as a alternative UI in their distributions.  Conman,  trademark
> shenanigans etc.  I understand the point you are trying to make but
> Moblin is really a poor example to pick.

Moblin is dead. MeeGo is somewhere between both arguments and there's
network-manager-netbook replacement for connman, and the trademark
issues are well and being dealt with and should be a non issue in time
for F-15. Its also based on mutter, so its not that different from
gnome-shell (hopefully even the fork might soon be resolved).

Peter