What has happened to desktop icons in rawhide?

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Tue Jan 25 14:33:35 UTC 2011

> > On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 09:11 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >
> >> I've added the dependency to gnome-panel. That should achieve the same
> >> for gnome users on upgrade, without affecting other spins.
> > But it doesn't make any sense. gnome-panel does *not* require
> > gnome-shell. We really shouldn't just go around abusing dependencies to
> > make upgrades 'work', even if it is convenient.
>
> I think users upgrading from a previous release can continue to get the
> fallback mode unless they do a group installation or try to install
> GNOME Shell specifically.   A upgrade needn't pull in GNOME Shell.
> GNOME Panel is a particularly bad place to have that additional
> dependency because if I have a system that doesn't support GNOME Shell
> or I just don't prefer to use it yet and I am only using the GNOME
> Panel,  it doesn't make sense to keep GNOME Shell installed.

No, it is really required that an upgrade gives you the intended
experience of the release you are upgrading to. We are working very hard
to make GNOME 3 good, and would like people to actually get whats on the
label when the upgrade to F15. I don't want to see reactions like

'Hey, I upgraded to F15 and really like that new GNOME 3 experience'

    'Really ? I just upgraded, and it looks the same it always did :-('