What has happened to desktop icons in rawhide?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 14:42:33 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 10:41 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
>
>> Actually if your speaking for the Red Hat desktop team I agree with
>> your point because its clear they have an "I'm right Jack, everything
>> for gnome shell attitude so screw everyone else" and it seems from my
>> point of view that they clearly couldn't give a stuff about anyone
>> else but themselves. And that attitude sucks and I'm getting sick of
>> going around my packages and spending a lot of time cleaning up the
>> mess of when one of that team comes and makes a mess all over the
>> place.
>
> Is that really necessary ? Can we have at least one mailing list where
> we refrain from name-calling and accusatory language, please ?
>
>> In terms of dependencies for gnome 3 you may be right but for every
>> other part of the distribution you are completely wrong, at least on
>> this space time continuum. There are quite a number of people fixing
>> dependency problems and its attitudes like this that really piss me
>> off. We got finally rid of perl in the last release which regained
>> quite a bit of space for just about all spins for a net win. The
>> Mobility SIG (mostly me but others as well), the server SIG and the
>> AOS/JeOS/Virt SIG have been working consistently for a long time (me
>> for 3 or more years) to try and fix these issues so that is why I'm
>> getting a little upset on the attitude.
>
> The desktop team has not brought perl back. It is getting pulled in by
> cups, indirectly. Please be at least a little more careful with your
> accusations. Thanks.

I wasn't accusing the desktop team of bringing back perl, I'm well
aware where the dependency lies (plus net-snmp and others). It was the
point above the one you cut out where one of the desktop team said "I
would suggest just to give up. Dependencies in RPM packages in Fedora
haven't meant anything for a long time already."

Peter