What has happened to desktop icons in rawhide?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Jan 25 16:02:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 09:35:27 -0500,
  Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 22:59 -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 09:11 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >
> > > I've added the dependency to gnome-panel. That should achieve the same
> > > for gnome users on upgrade, without affecting other spins.
> >
> > But it doesn't make any sense. gnome-panel does *not* require
> > gnome-shell. We really shouldn't just go around abusing dependencies to
> > make upgrades 'work', even if it is convenient.
>
> Make a better proposal then. Just doing nothing is not an option.
> The 'natural' place for the dependency would be gnome-session. I have
> put it in gnome-panel to help other spins who use gdm and might not want
> the extra baggage - and see how warmly probinson thanked me for it :-(

How about this for a proposal:
Have gnome shell obsolete gnome-panel < 2.90 and require gnome-panel,
metacity (since it needs these for fall back). I think that will do what
you want. (Note there isn't a 2.9x version of metacity, so you obsoleting
that gets a lot trickier.) As long as gnome-panel-2.9x isn't packaged
in F13 or F14 as an update this should work.