What has happened to desktop icons in rawhide?

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Tue Jan 25 16:11:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:01, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:

> Rahul Sundaram (metherid at gmail.com) said:
> > > But it doesn't make any sense. gnome-panel does *not* require
> > > gnome-shell. We really shouldn't just go around abusing dependencies to
> > > make upgrades 'work', even if it is convenient.
> >
> > I think users upgrading from a previous release can continue to get the
> > fallback mode unless they do a group installation or try to install
> > GNOME Shell specifically.
>
> How so? When we included KDE 4, we didn't leave users on KDE 3 on
> upgrade.
>
> Similarly, when a user has GNOME installed (and yes, the gnome-panel
> is GNOME), and they upgrade, they'll get the current version of GNOME.
> And that's GNOME Shell.

Thank you for repeating this. It appears to not be common knowledge--in this
conversation--that gnome-panel is deprecated and, essentially, in deep
maintenance mode. GNOME Shell is the UI of GNOME 3 and you only land on the
fallback gnome-panel if your hardware doesn't support it or, if the
detection logic doesn't guess your hardware correctly, you force GNOME in to
fallback mode (modulo this UI being created before the release).