What has happened to desktop icons in rawhide?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 17:34:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Matej Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:
> Dne 25.1.2011 11:41, Peter Robinson napsal(a):
>> In terms of dependencies for gnome 3 you may be right but for every
>> other part of the distribution you are completely wrong, at least on
>> this space time continuum. There are quite a number of people fixing
>> dependency problems and its attitudes like this that really piss me
>> off.
>
> Try that experiment with Rawhide (updating just individual packages when
> you feel like you need more modern version of the particular pacakge;
> the trick is never to run unqualified yum upgrade for whole system).
>
>> for 3 or more years) to try and fix these issues so that is why I'm
>> getting a little upset on the attitude.
>
> Just to emphasize, I used to use Debian for many years, so I completely
> don't agree with the level of brokeness all Fedora packages requirements
> have IMHO.
>
>> openoffice. There have been 10 updates @ 200Mb odd MB each for oo.o
>> since the release of F-14 for such critical bugs as "background isn't
>> transparent" [1] surely these could be bundled together once a month
>> or so (I thought there was suppose to be a policy about this but I
>> can't find it).
>
> Fortunately, presto makes miracles about OpenOffice, but again only if
> you regularly update complete distro.

There's places where presto doesn't work well. And until recently it
didn't work at all on openoffce because of the size. And in cases
where you get lots of updates in a short period of time your out of
luck. Which in a case where bandwidth is expensive you might not
upgrade every time a patch comes our your in the situation where you
have to download the whole thing. My point was that the kernel team
for example commit a series of patches for a number of bugs and push a
new version occasionally as opposed to pushing out multiple large
updates to fix each corner case bug.

Peter