What has happened to desktop icons in rawhide?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Jan 25 18:57:54 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 14:34 +0100, drago01 wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> But it doesn't make any sense. gnome-panel does *not* require
> >> gnome-shell. We really shouldn't just go around abusing dependencies to
> >> make upgrades 'work', even if it is convenient.
> >
> > I think users upgrading from a previous release can continue to get the
> > fallback mode unless they do a group installation or try to install
> > GNOME Shell specifically.
> > A upgrade needn't pull in GNOME Shell.
>
> No users upgrading should not get a degraded user experience (that is
> what the fallback supposed to be),
> to save a few MB of disk space for some users that care about every
> single MB on their hard drive.

I think we should ensure the supported upgrade methods - installer
upgrade, preupgrade - do the right thing somehow, but yum doesn't have
to.

If there isn't a mechanism to deal with this situation via anaconda,
well, it seems like a deficiency in our upgrade process which should be
remedied, not something to work around by abusing package dependencies.
If we really have to work around it, though, there must be a better
workaround than making up dependencies for gnome-shell; I don't recall
who suggested it, but something involving a meta-package should work
more elegantly.