kernel in rawhide (f15) : crash

cornel panceac cpanceac at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 20:02:16 UTC 2011

2011/1/25 cornel panceac <cpanceac at gmail.com>

> 2011/1/25 Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com>
>
> On Tue, 2011-01-25 at 20:21 +0200, cornel panceac wrote:
>> > maybe it's been reported already, but here both f15 kernels crash at
>> > boot. f14 works fine.
>>
>> This is obviously highly hardware dependent, so your report isn't much
>> use as is. =) The kernel boots on other hardware (like mine). So it'd be
>> good to have more details of the crash, your hardware info, and a test
>> with a 2.6.37 kernel build (I suspect this is likely a 2.6.38
>> regression). And you should probably file it, at redhat or upstream
>> bugzilla.
>

> probably the smolt profile (from f14)  will be someday available here:
> http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_6da62aa6-7873-4da2-8803-4e5e6a3c5ff9
>
> right now, the site is in guru_meditation state :)
>
> while the crash info was displayed, i've seen some mentions of plymouthd.
> video card is
>
> $ lspci -nn | grep -i vga
> 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G73 [GeForce
> 7300 GT] [10de:0393] (rev a1)
>
> i'll try disabling the plymouthd service (if there is such thing) and
> report back.

yes, the process that crashes the kernel seems to be plymouthd. any know way
to prevent plymouthd from starting? removing rhgb quiet didn't help. also,
once, i've seen something familiar: /proc/device-tree: can't find root, like
in the good old days, when fedora was unable to figure out which of my three
hard drives is first ... but that's another story.

--
"The beginning is the most important part of the work."
  --  *Plato*