Remote applications in gnome-shell

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Fri Jul 1 13:40:32 UTC 2011

On 07/01/2011 10:54 AM, Adam Pribyl wrote:
> Does someone know how to start remote applications in/from gnome-shell
> via ssh -X from remote machine? Most of apps I try to start from remote

Does it work when you use ssh -Y - -X has not worked for many applications in
years (FC4-ish?) since it requests untrusted X11 forwarding subject to the X11
SECURITY extension restrictions (see man ssh and the discussion of -X/-Y and
ForwardX11Trusted).

Be aware of the fact that you are trusting the remote machine when you use -Y -
it is possible for a malicious user on that system to attack your local X server
via the forwarded connection.

That said though, this is working for me between f15 and older releases and vice
versa with both -X and -Y.

> machine, complains about dbus and dies, or just plainly does not start. I
> can start xterm or xclock, but e.g. gnome-terminal can not. I
> know remote desktop sharing works only in fallback mode. So it is also not

Desktop sharing works fine here in native gnome-shell mode. There are a few
visual glitches but it is usable.

> possible to run any remote application? Or is this some dbus feature?

Can you post the output? What release(s) are you seeing this with?

Regards,
Bryn.