Remote applications in gnome-shell

Adam Pribyl pribyl at lowlevel.cz
Sat Jul 2 09:37:47 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2 Jul 2011, Adam Pribyl wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
>
>> On 07/01/2011 10:54 AM, Adam Pribyl wrote:
>>> Does someone know how to start remote applications in/from gnome-shell
>>> via ssh -X from remote machine? Most of apps I try to start from remote
>>
>> Can you post the output? What release(s) are you seeing this with?
>
> Thanks for your answer. This helps me to look whats wrong with my test
> system. I found there is something wrong with dbus as I am missing there
> a dbus-launch --autolaunch process. Then apps just say something like:
> ** (gedit:7655): WARNING **: Could not connect to session bus
>
> So far I was not able to find why this happens.

OK, found it - the machine was originaly a copy of the first one. I've
copied also /var/lib. This causes both machines to have the same dbus
machine-id as if ID exist in /var/lib/dbus/ it is never regenerated. On
ssh -Y the dbus-launch --autolaunch ends/is not started as it thinks this
is the same machine (my explanation). This was a tough one. Just looking
forward to another...

>> Regards,
>> Bryn.
>
> Adam Pribyl