Oh no, something went wrong!

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 16:11:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Jonathan Corbet <corbet-ft at lwn.net> wrote:

> Seeing the black screen of death with $SUBJECT is becoming an increasingly
> common part of my rawhide experience; today's update brought it back again.
> Would it really be too hard for it to way *what* went wrong?  I did manage
> to find an error in .xsession-errors - but only, of course, if I looked
> before logging in with fallback mode.  It shouldn't be that hard.
>
> The error, anyway, seems to be this (several times):
>
>    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = '"("Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring
> namespace 'Meta' version '3.0', but '3.1' is already loaded")@gjs_throw:0
> @/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:18
> "'
>    JS ERROR: !!!     message = '"Requiring Shell, version none: Requiring
> namespace 'Meta' version '3.0', but '3.1' is already loaded"'
>    JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: Requiring Shell, version none:
> Requiring namespace 'Meta' version '3.0', but '3.1' is already loaded
>    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '0'
>    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = '"gjs_throw"'
>
> I'm running gnome-shell-3.0.2-4.fc16.x86_64.  Any ideas?

Looks like you might need the newer gnome-shell 3.1.x to go with the 3.1.x
that was pushed recently.

I've just pushed the latest gnome-shell 3.1.3 release so you might like to
try that from koji [1] or alternatively you could "yum downgrade mutter" and
that might work.

Cheers,
Peter

[1] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=3181054