proposal: 'base' validation matrix

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jul 7 23:26:01 UTC 2011

> > > Any ideas
> > > for naming, etc? Any comments on the test cases written so far? Thanks!
> >
> > One thought, the 'base' matrix page looks a bit sparse.
>
> This is intentional, I really just wanted to create the table itself
> right now, not the complete finished page.

I've now expanded the proposal into a full template:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_base_validation_matrix

further comments welcome! There will probably be a few more tests once
we're done checking Beta and Final criteria for concordance with the
criteria.

> > I was about to
> > suggest that we add a standard header to the new 'base' matrix with some
> > basic instructions, but I wonder if something else might be more
> > appropriate.  When Andre and Hurry announce test runs, instead of
> > linking to each individual test matrix, we'd send a link to the
> > appropriate Category:Test_Results page (e.g.
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Fedora_15_Final_RC_Test_Results).
> >
> > What if we move the stock "instructions" (see
> >
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_15_Final_RC1_Install#Instructions) out of each individual page, and into the category page?  Or at the very least, make it an trancludable [1] wiki template {{Fedora_15_Test_Results_Instructions}}.
>
> I'd be opposed to this, for a couple of reasons: the instructions may
> differ between matrices (I think they do, for desktop and install) and I
> like the simplicity of having a single page you can point people to for
> one particular matrix. Using a template is probably feasible for any
> bits that are duplicated between pages, I'll take a look at that.

Writing the full proposed page reinforced my view on this: as you'll
see, the instructions are different from those in the desktop and
install matrices, and the proposed security matrix. I don't think we
could reconcile the instructions between the various matrices, I think
they do need to differ in various particulars, and maintaining a
template to keep the common elements together while allowing for
substantial variation would be quite difficult and hard to read.