Developing secondary architecture release criteria

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Fri Jul 8 15:33:51 UTC 2011

> On Fri, 2011-07-08 at 11:03 -0400, James Laska wrote:
>
> > > If doable we should try to come up with a solution aimed at/fits
> > > multiple release cycles
> >
> > How do you mean ... something that works for Fedora 13, 14, 15, 16
> > etc... ?  We have that now, I just didn't include any details about how
> > the pages are updated when a new release comes along.  Adam and I have
> > talked about an SOP to cover this, but we don't have any thing final
> > yet.
>
> I think by 'multiple release cycles' he meant the case where we release
> the DVD and two live images in June, the other live images in July and
> the PPC images in August, or whatever.

I see, thanks!  For scenarios like that, I'm partial to having a unique
entry point for each of those distinct "release" dates.

For example, the release criteria for the main release (DVD + GNOME/KDE
live images) is anchored at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Release_Criteria.

For secondary arches, they definitely don't have to follow the main
release schedule, they'd also get their own criteria entry point.
Perhaps something like ... https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_
%{arch}_Release_Criteria (e.g.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_PowerPC_Release_Criteria and
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_s390x_Release_Criteria).  These
could all be linked from the main page, their respective arch pages and
will be included in Category:Release_Criteria.  The content of the pages
would call the same templates described in scenario#3 or highlight
criteria exceptions described in scenario#2.

For SPINs whose release date isn't *tightly* coupled with the main
release date, they'd each have their own entry point (which would likely
follow the same approach used by arches).  Perhaps something like ...
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_%{spin}_Release_Criteria?

Thoughts/concerns/complaints?

Thanks,
James