Instalatron: Anaconda testing framework

agraham agraham at g-b.net
Wed Jul 20 16:32:20 UTC 2011

On 07/19/2011 04:49 PM, Sergio Rubio wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> Posted this to the wrong mailing list (David Cantrell suggested using
> this one instead).
>
> Linking to avoid re-typing :), my apologies:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2011-July/msg00090.html
>
> In a nutshell, we are looking for better ways to test our Anaconda
> based installer and I thought that speaking to the real guys and
> sharing would be a good way to start.
>
> Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
>
> Rgds.

I've always wanted to be able to run anaconda and just point it to a
partition or image and have it install their.

Use case:

I have a remote machine in a data centre with 1 hard drive, but 1 free
partition and I want to upgrade to the latest version of RH/Fedora, will
it would be nice to:

# anaconda --installfrom /FC16.ISO --install /dev/sda3 etc..

or

# anaconda --installfrom /FC16.ISO --install fc16-x64.img etc..

The hardware environment would be the same as the system it is running
on, so NICs, video etc .. can be detected from the running system.

This allows me to upgrade with risk of losing my current system (and
possible access).

It could then just install another kernel to /boot and as a side effect
you have dual boot :)

Real Guy.