Any hope for system-config-services ?

agraham agraham at g-b.net
Thu Jul 21 09:26:17 UTC 2011

On 07/20/2011 09:31 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 07/20/2011 11:53 AM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
>> Since F15 this does not seem able to enable httpd or
>> anything as far as I can tell.  "enable" and "disable"
>> are greyed out.
>>
>> How is one expected to manage Fedora as a server
>> if services can not be enabled?
>
> Typically Fedora isn't used a server and such server instances would use
> systemctl anyway.  systemadm is a gui but I guess needs a contributor to
> help
>
> Rahul

"Typically Fedora isn't used a server"

Really?

I disagree with the propaganda pumped out by RH et al about Fedora being
a only test bed for RHEL. Fedora is community driven and owned by the
commuinty, but sometimes I really get the feeling there is another
agenda at work here, namely the disrupted changes added with each new
Fedora release which prevents it becoming really stable, an example of
this is indeed systemd, (other examples are Network Manager, Pulseaudio
back in 2007), these "pre-alpha" where "dumped" into fedora, replacing
major subsystems with little or no testing whatsoever and have caused
huge amounts of pain and time wasting, this of course backs-up the
propaganda and agenda I mentioned earlier.

Isn't about time we had a release of Fedora that purely a bug fix
release, "MAKE FEDORA STABLE" - i.e. no new ground braking features, let
it be known as a "STABLE SERVER OS" after all that's what it is right.

I don't use RHEL (unless there is a really good use case e.g. production
DB) because it's basically just OLDWARE, and CENTOS is even OLDEWARE.

Rahul, this is no reflection on you, but the way you worded that
statement and given your huge contribution to Fedora over the years
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Sundaram) concerned me :(

Albert.