Gnome 3

Scott Doty scott at ponzo.net
Wed Jun 1 01:07:43 UTC 2011

On 05/31/2011 12:18 PM, Pasha R wrote:

> So, lets  tackle the screensaver issue again. As I understand from
> your answer there are currently no plans to return screensavers other
> than blank screen - it is not a temporary matter of lack of resources.
> I would like to see this decision reversed.

Hi Pasha,

As a workaround, you can do what I did, and install xscreensaver.  It
continues to have the complete set of legacy, gl, etc. screensavers that
we've seen developed over the last 20 years.

(You'll also have to go into gnome-session-properties to take out
gnome-screensaver and add xscreensaver.)

_[/home/scott]_(scott at m5)_
$ rpm -qa | grep "^xscreensaver"
xscreensaver-base-5.14-1.fc15.x86_64
xscreensaver-gl-base-5.14-1.fc15.x86_64
xscreensaver-5.14-1.fc15.x86_64
xscreensaver-gl-extras-5.14-1.fc15.x86_64
xscreensaver-extras-5.14-1.fc15.x86_64
xscreensaver-extras-base-5.14-1.fc15.x86_64

I would also like to point out that contradicting someone's ideas isn't
necessarily hostile, but is necessary for expressing different points of
view...

  -Scott