Gnome 3

Pasha R pashar.ml at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 07:42:03 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Genes MailLists <lists at sapience.com> wrote:
> On 06/01/2011 01:51 AM, Pasha R wrote:
>
>> Thanks.
>> I didn't realize it is still present in fedora. I always liked
>> xscreensaver responsiveness. With gnome-screensaver, it sometimes
>> takes few seconds until it swaps in its login dialog, even on quite
>> modern machine, while xscreensaver always presented its dialog
>> instantly, even on my old P3 with 256Mb RAM.
>> Still, I believe that ability to choose screensaver is a nice feature
>> that should not be removed from Gnome, even if there are non-Gnome
>> alternatives.
>

>   I have read several of your posts expressing concerns over the state
> and functionality of Gnome.
>
>   Fedora is so much more than Gnome 3 ... I would encourage you to try
> a different DE - most people I know who have not been thrilled with the
> direction of Gnome have turned to either xfce or kde - you might want to
> try them - they both seem to have many of the features you no longer
> easily find in Gnome ...

Fedora is definitely much more than Gnome, it is just not easy to
change old habits. I'm long time Gnome user, and so far liked it much
more than all other DEs - for me it provided best balance between
functionality, simplicity and visual appeal so far. And this is a main
reason for my rants about its current state.