nouveau and multimonitor with mutter problems

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 08:21:02 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying here as F15 has been just released. Perhaps same problem in
> rawhide too..
> During latest days I have tested my XPS M1330 Dell laptop with nvidia
> proprietary drivers and now I'm evaluating switching to nouveau.
> I have final F15 x86_64.
> No xorg.conf file and no nvidia rpm bits.
> I connect a 19" monitor to vga.
> Starting in fallback mode all is ok and I can configure laptop
> (1280x800) under monitor (1280x1024).
> In gdm the login box is inside laptop and I can see background inside
> the monitor too.
> After login my top bar is positioned at top of laptop display.
> I can drag windows from top to bottom display crossing the top bar and
> vice versa.
> The status bar is at bottom of laptop.
>
> If I set the default gnome 3 with effects, I have the same behaviour
> at gdm login, and the same positioning of top bar after login.
> But Inside the external monitor I see the background image, without
> being able to put windows in this monitor.
> When dragging a window it stops right under the top bar, no way. And
> all new windows are opened inside laptop display.
> If I use the classic Alt+drag operation I can traverse top bar and
> arrive with top part of this window about half height of the external
> monitor....

Just an update:
if I exchange position of the displays, with laptop up and external
monitor under it, the behaviour is as expected.
But it is not quite usable in my case because it is the opposite of
the physical layout....
Perhaps it is a problem of the top bar representing a top limit for
windows placement?
Can I change its position to test?
Anyone using other drivers successfully in getting the external vga
monitor on top without writing any xorg.conf file?
What would be the best component for open a bugzilla entry?
xorg-x11-drv-nouveau?
Thanks,
Gianluca