proposal: 'base' validation matrix

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jun 30 17:09:07 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-30 at 10:05 -0400, James Laska wrote:

> > there will likely be more as we go through the Beta and Final criteria.
> > I've thrown up a quick draft of how the matrix might look here:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_base_validation_matrix
> >
> > Just wanted to make sure the group knows about this week, and ask for
> > feedback on the test cases, the matrix and the overall plan here - do
> > you agree a third matrix is the best way to organize things?
>
> Good thinking, an additional matrix seems appropriate.  I'm sure as we
> start adding more tests, a theme or organizational scheme might surface.
> Until then, just tossing them into this additional 'base' matrix seems
> like a great idea!
>
> Are any SOP updates needed to ensure this matrix is included when
> setting up test runs in Fedora 16?

Only trivial changes to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/SOP_Release_Validation_Test_Event ,
which we'll do once the matrix is in place.

> > Any ideas
> > for naming, etc? Any comments on the test cases written so far? Thanks!
>
> One thought, the 'base' matrix page looks a bit sparse.

This is intentional, I really just wanted to create the table itself
right now, not the complete finished page.

> I was about to
> suggest that we add a standard header to the new 'base' matrix with some
> basic instructions, but I wonder if something else might be more
> appropriate.  When Andre and Hurry announce test runs, instead of
> linking to each individual test matrix, we'd send a link to the
> appropriate Category:Test_Results page (e.g.
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Fedora_15_Final_RC_Test_Results).
>
> What if we move the stock "instructions" (see
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_15_Final_RC1_Install#Instructions) out of each individual page, and into the category page?  Or at the very least, make it an trancludable [1] wiki template {{Fedora_15_Test_Results_Instructions}}.

I'd be opposed to this, for a couple of reasons: the instructions may
differ between matrices (I think they do, for desktop and install) and I
like the simplicity of having a single page you can point people to for
one particular matrix. Using a template is probably feasible for any
bits that are duplicated between pages, I'll take a look at that.