Serial Mouse in Fedora

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sat Mar 5 19:40:05 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 05, 2011 at 06:49:29AM -0800, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
> How can I get Fedora to use a mouse connected to a
> serial port (ttyS0)?  All the advice I can Google references
> things that have disappeared from Fedora over the years.

See 'man xorg.conf' and a description of an InputDevice section.

In practical terms drop into /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ a file named,
say, 01-mouse.conf with something like this in it

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "mman"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/ttyS0"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
#         Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

adjusting protocol, device and options as required.  Many years
passed from the last time I even seen a serial mouse but in
principle that should work.  Hopefully.

If you want/need a mouse on a text console then gpm is using
a configuration in /etc/sysconfig/mouse.
'gpm -m <device> -t help' should give you a list of various
"candidate" protocols (or maybe your mouse came with some sort
of documentation?).

   Michal