kernel crash

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 8 06:02:11 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-03-07 at 20:05 -0800, Antonio Olivares wrote:

> > Because abrt was written before the kernel really started
> > using the oops
> > system for warnings. abrt's text should probably get
> > updated now.
>
> Prior versions of Fedora Rawhide had oopses too, and they reported where the oops report was sent and to which version of the kernel.  This new tool does not.  I wonder where the report got sent?  It surely did not go to the Fedora bugzilla :(  I know it is just a warning, but thanks to it, the internet connection died and I could not reply again to the message.

Right, but previously oopses were actual crashes. When you see WARNING,
it's the kernel using the oops system to report that something that
shouldn't have happened has happened, but it's not really a crash.
Obviously if your networking stops working it's a real bug, though. The
issues are reported to http://kerneloops.org .

> > Of course there's going
> > to be a lag
> > between filing the bug and a fix being written, built, and
> > pushed to
> > updates.
>
> I have not seen any suggestions yet?, normally we see things like
> CLOSED -NOT A BUG-
> fixed in policy-XX.YYY.ZZZ.rpm
> , etc.  But in this case, the bug might be a repeat of someone else's problem :(

What's the bug report URL?

Usually selinux is good at catching duplicates, so if anyone else is
hitting this alert, they will have been added to your bug report as a
CC.