Please explain: Your credentials have expired

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Wed Mar 9 18:05:27 UTC 2011

PdC> Hovering over it shows "Your credentials have expired" and when I
PdC> clicked it, an empty window appeared, and after a long, long delay,
PdC> it filled in with the following information: Couldn't acquire
PdC> kerberos ticket: 'Cannot resolve network address for KDC in realm
PdC> "EXAMPLE.COM"'

Well, you have krb5-auth-dialog installed so it's going to inform you
about the state of any kerberos credentials you have.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerberos_%28protocol%29 has more
information on what kerberos is.

Of course, you don't have kerberos configured at all, so the output of
that applet is not meaningful.  It would be nice if it could somehow
detect that you do not have kerberos configured or that you have never
acquired any ceedentials, but I believe it is possible to obtain
credentials using kinit without actually configuring anything so the
problem does not appear to be a simple one.

Generally I think you'd simply not install krb5-auth-dialog if you have
no need of kerberos.  If something's actually depending on it, though,
then that needs to be looked into.

 - J<