[solved] On making a proper kernel for gnome-shell

Jonathan Corbet corbet-ft at lwn.net
Fri Mar 11 22:05:34 UTC 2011

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 14:45:29 -0700
Jonathan Corbet <corbet-ft at lwn.net> wrote:

> Something tells me that this difference probably has some bearing on my
> little problem.

Found it.  The root cause is that I was unable to open /dev/dri/card0.  In
the end, every system management problem in existence can be diagnosed with
strace...  I added myself to the "video" group and everything is happy now.

I have not delved further, but I am guessing that the problem is that I
don't build SELinux into my kernels.  I've never had anything break as the
result of leaving out SELinux before...  Worth noting, I bet I'm not the
only one who will run into this one.

Thanks to everybody who took a look at this,

jon