faced 4 issues with F15 nighty compose 20110311.07.iso

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 16 04:37:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 20:01 +0000, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> >> 2) The user-switch panel doesnt have options "restart" , or "shut
> >> down".. refer the screenshot :
> >> http://goo.gl/r9XZG
> >
> > This is intentional. If you hold down Alt, a 'Shut Down' option appears
> > in place of suspend. Restart is considered unnecessary as a general
> > purpose option, at present, as near as I can tell; I've been yelled at
> > by the desktop team for saying this, but no-one seems to be
> > re-implementing it, and when I ask what the real story is, no-one seems
> > to tell me. So AIUI, it's not there, on purpose, and this is not going
> > to change. If you need to reboot because you installed updates,
> > PackageKit is supposed to handle that. If you want to reboot to another
> > OS, I think there was talk of some kind of special case for handling
> > that, but it doesn't seem like it's being implemented. Beyond that, all
> > you can do at present is log out and reboot from gdm, use the 'Shut
> > Down' option and power back on manually, or run 'reboot' at a console
> > (which doesn't shut down quite as cleanly).
>
> Am I right in thinking that you will still be able to logout from the
> user and then switch to a VT other than the gdm screen - and then
> enter "shutdown -r now" ?
>
> Or will that give an unclean shutdown a la the reboot command (i.e. is
> reboot equivalent)?

It does the same thing. It's not really unclean, but it just (AIUI)
sends a sigterm to any running process; so you won't get the 'would you
like to save this really important document you forgot to save because
you're an idiot' dialogs you get if you do a more GNOME-y shutdown. You
just see all your apps go away quite fast, whatever state they're in,
and then it reboots.