F15 alpha problem.

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Mar 16 17:39:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 12:13 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On 3/16/11 7:30 AM, James Laska wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 12:09 +0100, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> >> I've just installed F15 alpha in a virtualbox machine and at the first boot I
> >> get a gnome 3 error explaining that it can't be fully initialised because 3D is
> >> not supported. I don't know if this is the cause to my problem, which is:
> >
> > GNOME3 is not expected to work in virtualized environments where
> > hardware accelerated graphics are not available.
>
> ... yet.  I've made a modest amount of progress to getting it running on
> the software GL stack, and I'm hoping to land the changes for that
> before the beta change deadline on the 29th.  I've gotten it from
> "mutter crashes instantly" to "shell looks fine, windows don't paint
> correctly", but I'm still a fair way from having it totally working.
>
> I have no idea what the UI for this will look like once it's working, or
> even if I'll have it working in time.  But I'm hoping it'll work as a
> tactical measure until we have a sane virt 3d story.

Cool! Is that llvmpipe?

Also, on that last note, we should clarify that right now Shell doesn't
work even in virtualized environments where accelerated graphics *are*
available, e.g. VirtualBox with appropriate hardware and drivers. In
theory it should be possible to make this work, but in practice it
currently doesn't.

So there's two angles we can approach this from; make Shell run with
software GL, or fix up Shell to work with virtualized graphics
acceleration passthrough. But it's not at all guaranteed that we'll
manage either in time for f15.