Errors in GNOME installer for 2011-03-15 builds

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Wed Mar 16 19:42:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 15:18 -0400, Gregory Woodbury wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Tim Flink <tflink at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On 03/16/2011 11:36 AM, Gregory Woodbury wrote:
> > > No traceback or messages that I can see, just a notification that i can't
> > > put
> > > a partition on root.
> >
> > Just to re-iterate (and slightly rephrase) what James said: I believe
> > that the change to anaconda was to disallow assigning '/' to a partition
> > that was not being formatted during the installation process. If the
> > partition was previously formatted, you wouldn't be able to mount it as
> > '/' unless you reformat it as part of the install.
> >
> > Are you using custom or auto partitioning?
> >
> > Are you using pre-existing partitions/logical volumes? If so, does
> > deleting and re-creating those partitions work (assuming you can do so)?
> >

> Yes, it is wanting the partition formatted before letting it be assigned to
> root.
>
> This is rather awkard as the format checkbox is below the mount point box.
> Are we going to recommend a seperate /home?  Should the default layout make
> a /home?
>
> This is, IIRC the second go around on forcing the root to be formatted.
> What if /home is
> in the root and you don't want to lose it!   Last time we got a notification
> that the partition
> ought to be formatted, unless there are home directories or something you
> want to keep.
>
> FC13 has this notification, 15 lost it and now wants to force formatting.
>
> Two steps back and 1/2 step forward.

Installing Fedora to a previously formatted partition was always "odd".
It's hard to truly trust the resulting system since you have no idea
what was on the disk prior to install.  In addition, when the Fedora
installer formats partitions for you, it's making format/partition
choices that may impact the performance of your setup.  When making
different choices, results will vary and it takes a considerable amount
of time to figure out what the heck is going on. :)

If you want to retain your /home directory between releases, move
your /home directory to it's own partition.  I've been doing this for
many releases myself, and it makes for a *much* simpler transition when
installing a newer release.

Thanks,
James