F15 alpha problem.

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Thu Mar 17 03:13:15 UTC 2011

On 3/16/11 1:39 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 12:13 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
>> On 3/16/11 7:30 AM, James Laska wrote:
>>> GNOME3 is not expected to work in virtualized environments where
>>> hardware accelerated graphics are not available.
>>
>> ... yet.  I've made a modest amount of progress to getting it running on
>> the software GL stack, and I'm hoping to land the changes for that
>> before the beta change deadline on the 29th.  I've gotten it from
>> "mutter crashes instantly" to "shell looks fine, windows don't paint
>> correctly", but I'm still a fair way from having it totally working.
>>
>> I have no idea what the UI for this will look like once it's working, or
>> even if I'll have it working in time.  But I'm hoping it'll work as a
>> tactical measure until we have a sane virt 3d story.
>
> Cool! Is that llvmpipe?

Yes, we switched to that from classic swrast on the grounds that
llvmpipe is more like r600/nouveau (since almost everything but the
actual code generation step is essentially shared) than swrast was like
intel (where you'd basically never hit software fallbacks, so how do you
have any idea how well the software path works).

It works shockingly well, though I don't have it working to the point
where performance numbers are appropriate.  But as a back of the
envelope kind of estimate, we're hoping 10x7 or 12x10 in a VM on a
modern machine should be entirely usable.

Again: not working, don't quote me, etc.

- ajax