optimizing systemd, was: f15 no longer starts

Petrus de Calguarium pgueckel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 19:30:02 UTC 2011

Michał Piotrowski wrote:

> Hmm... I'm not sure if it's reasonable - this will require
> modification of many systemd services.

I don't know whether modifying services is reasonable, but what is not
reasonable is for a user no longer to be able to boot his system and not to be
able to log in after an update. For the less experienced user, this particular
problem required a reinstallation of the system. For me, a somewhat more savvy
user, this required using all the skills I had just to avoid reinstallation,
and only a tip on this list from another affected user to get me out of an
unsolvable situation.

A possible solution would be to have both updates and updates-testing repos for
all fedoras, even the not yet released branched fedora. I would prefer not to
run updates-testing, but I do want to run Fedora-alpha as soon as it is
available. As it stands at present, updates-testing is automatically enabled,
whether a user wants it or not, and there is no other way to get updates except
to keep updates-testing enabled. As I said, I like running the experimental
system, but updates-testing is a bit to racey for me.