optimizing systemd, was: f15 no longer starts

Michał Piotrowski mkkp4x4 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 20:03:45 UTC 2011

W dniu 20 marca 2011 20:54 użytkownik cornel panceac
<cpanceac at gmail.com> napisał:

> 2011/3/20 Genes MailLists <lists at sapience.com>
>>
>> On 03/20/2011 03:43 PM, Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>>

>> > In a stable distribution such situation would not be possible because
>> > of the whole testing procedures etc.
>> >
>> > But of course there should be a way to avoid such situation. I hope
>> > that Lennart will find a good way to solve this problem soon.
>> >

>>  Then make the variable timeout default to 30 secs - so worst case
>> services get started and system runs ... individual services which
>> actually require the pre-requisite - can change the timeout variable to
>> demand pre-req is satisfied - of course even these will presumably fail
>> (hopeflly gracefully).
>>
>>  So the answer seems to be implement a timeout for pre-requisites and
>> default it to something sensible - ... fixup any upstart files as needed
>> - since the systemd unit files are all new anyway - we should be fine
>> with this.
>>
> although i understand the general idea about systemd, i believe that in
> fedora's case there has to be a plan which says who starts when, and what
> requires what. then, if thngs don't go that well, as it happened with this
> rsyslog update, the plan can be imporved.
> --

Unfortunately it is not so simple. For example we have a service
After=syslog.target network.target
and for some reason network configuration takes longer than 30 seconds
so the service does not start when default timeout will be short and
will cover all dependences.

--
Best regards,
Michal