optimizing systemd, was: f15 no longer starts

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Mar 21 18:22:57 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 13:30 -0600, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Michał Piotrowski wrote:
>
> > Hmm... I'm not sure if it's reasonable - this will require
> > modification of many systemd services.
>
> I don't know whether modifying services is reasonable, but what is not
> reasonable is for a user no longer to be able to boot his system and not to be
> able to log in after an update. For the less experienced user, this particular
> problem required a reinstallation of the system. For me, a somewhat more savvy
> user, this required using all the skills I had just to avoid reinstallation,
> and only a tip on this list from another affected user to get me out of an
> unsolvable situation.

Pre-releases come with exactly no guarantees. We explicitly caution that
they can do exactly this (or, worse, eat your data), and that you should
not run them on critical systems.

> A possible solution would be to have both updates and updates-testing repos for
> all fedoras, even the not yet released branched fedora.

Erm. We already do exactly this, and the offending update is only in f15
updates-testing, not in dist-f15. It has -4 karma and will never be
promoted to 'stable' without a fix.