[Test-Announce] Power Management Test Day on Thursday (2011-03-24)

Michel Alexandre Salim salimma at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 22 16:36:51 UTC 2011

On 03/22/2011 05:15 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
 > The Fedora 15 Test Day schedule continues to roll, and this week it's
 > the turn of power management:
 >
 > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-03-24
 >
 > This event will concentrate on testing how well various common power
 > management operations work on a range of systems, and also on testing
 > the functionality of the new generation PowerTOP[1] utility.

Speaking of power management, there's a known problem with backlight
control on some laptops that require native backlight control, rather
than the standard ACPI interface.

Red Hat's own Matthew Garrett posted the patch series[1], but I've not
seen it applied in any publicly-available Git tree (do point me to one,
if anyone knows) apart from Canonical employee Kamal Mostafa's
linux-kamal-mjgbacklight[2]

Would it be possible, during the test day, to find out how many people
are affected by this (e.g. by adding backlight control to the list of
things to check)? If there are many out there -- including my Vaio Y --
we might want to consider providing a semi-blessed repo with a patched
kernel.

PS does mjg have a public kernel git tree? I could not find one.

   1. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.acpi.devel/48990
   2. https://launchpad.net/~kamalmostafa/+archive/linux-kamal-mjgbacklight

Thanks,

--