Interesting Feedback From a New Tester

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Mar 25 20:04:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 13:53 -0600, Tim Flink wrote:
> I took part in an interesting discussion in #fedora-qa today with
> someone who was new to Fedora (coming from Ubuntu) and interested in
> testing.
>
> He (I assume he, will use for consistancy) came to the alpha download
> page on fedoraproject.org [1], tried to use and install the alpha and
> ran into some problems. Apparently, he tried to ask questions in #fedora
> and got some gruff "no alpha stuff here" comments before finding #fedora-qa.
>
> I looked at the alpha download page, and there is no reference to qa, no
> reference to newer images and nothing about directing questions to test@
> or #fedora-qa.
>
> I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I propose that we add some
> additional information to that page [1]. At the very least, a sentence
> or two about where to direct questions about the alpha and "if you're
> interested in testing, see ____ page" which points to new information
> (maybe the QA or QA/Join wiki pages?).
>
> This should at least stem some of the alpha related questions coming
> into #fedora and hopefully us find some more people who are interested
> in testing, too!

yes, sounds good. People in #fedora usually explicitly tell people to
take pre-release questions to #fedora-qa, though, they don't usually
just say 'not here'.

we don't maintain the page, though; the websites group does.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites should have info on where to
propose this.