autologin Fedora 15 (Gnome 3) & other questions

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 19:47:25 UTC 2011

Dear Kind Fedora Testers & users,

Autologin in Fedora 15 with gdm (file /etc/gdm/custom.conf

[daemon]
TimedLoginEnable=true
TimedLogin=students
TimedLoginDelay=0

with students as the user to login automagically, is not working correctly.  I see a error No ???? This should not be happening, bla bla bla., I have to click log out, then try to renable login screen.

Also,
If I don't use autologin(commented out the above lines in /etc/gdm/custom.conf), then the user menu to login does not present itself in the first round, it comes up after I click on other, then cancel the username finally shows up.  What is happening here?

Alas, there is also another detail that I have not forgotten, if I try to login in level 3 by appending a 3 at the end of grub kernel parameters in rhgb quiet 3, I login, and type startx and the desktop does not come up as it did in previous releases.  I have to poweroff/reboot and leave the graphical level 5 otherwise, I get no desktop if I start in level 3.

I have 3 machines running Fedora 15 updated to yesterday's updates, and this is happening. I was on Fedora 16 Rawhide on two of those three machines and I nuked them in favor of testing Fedora 15 with Gnome 3, and putting the students to test the functionality of the desktop.  Some students complained what the hell is this?  I am just observing them and also learning more about it by letting them use it.  I just removed the lock of the screen after _ minutes and also miss the shutdown menu button, I have to logout and then shutdown from gdm menu, are the devs, going to bring back the logout/shutdown button?

I apologize for including more than what is on the title, but I can see some + and some -.  I like the new look, because it is a complete redesign and impresses some people, but getting used to it and figuring how things work will take some time.  Somehow the KDE 4.0 back when Fedora 9 was coming out seemed different than what is happening now with Gnome 3.  Only time will tell what will happen.  I do like more than 1 desktop, use KDE, Gnome, XFCE, and lxde on several Fedora machines so I am no stranger to this.

Thanks for reading and as always, suggestions/advice/comments are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Antonio