Today's GNOME pathologies

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 18:03:38 UTC 2011

On 03/28/2011 05:22 PM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> So I just updated my Rawhide system.  Items noticed in the first few
> minutes:
>
>   - Blinking cursors are on everything and cannot be turned off.  I *hate*
>     blinking cursors.  They make me Grumpy.

You should be able to disable that with gconf-editor/gsettings
/desktop/gnome/interface/cursor_blink if we follow the common
workarounds for new nuances ;)

>   - Lots of icons are missing.  The "system settings" dialog is now mostly
>     text.
>
>   - Setting the background no longer works; it is pure black.
>
> Obviously something has gone a little funky somewhere; or is it only me?

I had seen those issue while back with an added black screen in All but
that was fixed ( for me atleast ).

I did try an nightly desktop build from the 26 ( liveusb) on an friends
laptop hp pavilion dv6000 and graphics was all broken only background in
gdm and just complete scrambleness without black background when started
when run startx.

Nouvea was complaining something about some vt error if I recall correctly.
( did not spend time debugging it since it was a failed Fedora/Gnome3
introduction )

JBG