Today's GNOME pathologies

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 21:59:58 UTC 2011

On 03/28/2011 06:57 PM, Jonathan Corbet wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 18:03:38 +0000
> "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"<johannbg at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>>>    - Blinking cursors are on everything and cannot be turned off.  I *hate*
>>>      blinking cursors.  They make me Grumpy.
>> You should be able to disable that with gconf-editor/gsettings
>> /desktop/gnome/interface/cursor_blink if we follow the common
>> workarounds for new nuances ;)
> Nope, that shows it already disabled (as does the "keyboard" settings
> dialog).  It's just that the applications don't seem to be paying
> attention anymore...

I tested this and am unable to duplicate on a fully updated F15 (
branched )

I went to system settings --> keyboard and turned off cursor blinking (
the gconf setting appears to be deprecated since it already was disabled
for me ) and it no longer blinks in Gnome-terminal and Gedit

If you are running rawhide ( what now will become F16 ) expect things to
be broken for some time since maintainers wont necessary build/update
components for F16 since all the focus is on branched at the moment ( F15 ).

Note it's not uncommon for reporters to accidently continue to stay on
the rawhide train instead of disabling rawhide and enable
updates-testing when it get's branched.

If you need a usable system I recommend that you stay away from the
rawhide train until it hits alpha which is sometime late August if
memory serves me correct.

JBG