How do I add startup programs in Gnome 3? (Solved), ... (autologin SOLVED)

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 12:13:19 UTC 2011

--- On Tue, 3/29/11, Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.net> wrote:

> From: Mike Chambers <mike at miketc.net>
> Subject: Re: How do I add startup programs in Gnome 3? (Solved), ... (autologin SOLVED)
> To: "For testing and quality assurance of Fedora releases" <test at lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Date: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 6:34 PM
> On Tue, 2011-03-29 at 18:17 -0700,
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> >
> > --- On Tue, 3/29/11, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > > Have you tried:
> > >
> > > /etc/gdm/custom.conf
> > >
> > > [daemon]
> > > AutomaticLoginEnable=True
> > > AutomaticLogin= <username>
> > >
> > > ---
> >
> > Must have been a typo, or the other line
> > TimedLoginDelay=0,  Now it is working like a
> champ!   :)
> >
> > [students at localhost ~]$ cat /etc/gdm/custom.conf
> > # GDM configuration storage
> >
> > [daemon]
> > TimedLoginEnable=true
> > TimedLogin=students
>
> Was neither, your using *timed* login and what Rahul posted
> above is
> *Automatic*.
>
> Might try what he has posted above again, using Automatic
> and not timed
> and see what happens.
>

> AutomaticLoginEnable=True
> AutomaticLogin= <username>
>
> --

I did have it correct on the machine that I first tried it.  Here's the output of the file:

[students at maddog ~]$ cat /etc/gdm/custom.conf
# GDM configuration storage

[daemon]
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=students
#TimedLoginDelay=0

[security]

[xdmcp]

[greeter]

[chooser]

[debug]

[students at maddog ~]$

It had TimedLoginDelay=0, and it was causing the problems.  On the other two  machines, I did have the other version:

TimedLoginEnable=true
TimedLogin=students

Does it make sense now?

I had the delay=0 and it was causing the trouble :(
Thanks to all who have helped me get this working.  My students are appreciative as they do not have to type a password to get to use the computers.

Regards,

Antonio

[students at maddog ~]$ cat /etc/fedora-release
Fedora release 15 (Lovelock)
[students at maddog ~]$ uname -r
2.6.38.2-8.fc15.x86_64